The Environmental Board was merged with the Environmental Inspectorate into a single agency on 1 January 2021.
This merger was required in order to ensure:
- greater clarity for citizens and clients – there is now one agency rather than two, meaning clients no longer have to think about which one they should turn to on environmental matters;
- more uniform interpretation of legal acts – in the event of different interpretations, we will address them within the agency;
- greater cohesion within the field – we are laying the foundations for an all-in-one service view;
- improved response times in getting to sites and enhanced ability to respond to challenges;
- better support for law abidance and environmentally aware behaviour;
- enhanced competence within the field – providing useful input for policy-shaping;
- more effective use of resources; and
- enhanced ability for service development and innovation.
1. jaanuarist 2021. a tegevust alustava ühendameti struktuur
- All main services preserve upon merger of Environmental Board and Environmental Inspectorate (article from December 2020)
- Riigikogu approves merger of Environmental Board and Environmental Inspectorate (18.06.2020 Press Release)